Thursday, January 27, 2005

CHAPTER III.
NORMAN MEETS HIS ENEMY.

D

on't make any wanton move," warned Woodranger" If I'm not mistaken the younker is one o' the Scotch settlers on the river, and he's a likely lad, or I'm no jedge o' human natur'."

" I jess want him to know he ain't going to play Injun with me," replied Gunwad. Then, speaking In a louder key to Norman, he said :
"Climb down hyur, youngster, and see thet ye air spry erbout it, for I don't think o' spending the night in these woods."

" I will be with you in a moment," said Norman, starting toward the west end of the cliff, where he could descend with comparative ease. He had overheard enough to understand that Gunwad would provc no friend to him, though he did not realise the deer reeve's full intent.

" One o' 'em condemned furriners !" muttered Gunwad " I'd as soon snap him up as thet copper-skin. Hi, there, youngster! be keerful how ye handle thet shooting iron," as Norman inadvertently lifted the weapon toward his shoulder in trying to avoid a bush.

" You have nothing to fear, as it isn't loaded. I—"

" Isn't loaded, eh ?" demanded the deer reeve. "Let me take it."

Norman handed him the firearm, as requested, and then turned to look at Woodranger, who was watching the scene in silence, with a look in his blue eyes that it was difficult to read.

" I reckon I've got all the evidence I shall need," said Gunwad, after hastily examining the gun. " You'll need to go with me to Chelmsford, youngster, to answer the grave charge of shooting deer out o' season. It'll only cost ye ten pounds, or forty days' work for the province. Better have waited ernother day afore ye took yer leetle hunt! "

" I have shot no deer, sir," replied Norman. " Neither have I hunted deer."

" Don't make yer case enny wuss by trying to lie out o' it. The circumstances air all ag'in ye. Air ye coming erlong quiet like, or shall I hev to call on Woodranger to help me ? "

" Where are you going to take me ?" asked Norman, feeling his first real alarm. " Grandfather will be worried about me if I go away without telling him — "

" Old man will be worrited, eh ? O' all the oxcuses to git out'n a bad fix thet's the tarnalest. D'ye hear thet, Woodranger ? "

Nettled by the words, Norman showed some of the spirit of the McNiels, exclaiming sharply:
"Sir, I have hunted no deer, shot no deer, and there is no reason why you should make me prisoner. I have transgressed no law, as far as I know."

" Ignerance is no excuse for breaking a law, youngster. The facts air all ag'in ye. Ain't this yer dog ? and weren't he chasing thet deer ? "

" He was chasing the deer, but surely you do not blame the hound for doing what his natural instinct told him to do ? To him all seasons are as one, and the laws of man unknown."

" A good p'int, lad," said Woodranger, speaking for the first time since Norman had reached the foot of the cliff.

" But it does not clear yer frills from the law made by honourable law-makers and sanctioned by good King George," retorted Gunwad, angrily. " Ye 'low yer dog was chasing the deer ? "

" I have not said he was my dog, sir. He came to my house about a week ago and would stay with u». I ---'

" 'Mounts to the same as if he wus yers. I s'pose ye deny this is yer gun and thet it's as empty as a last year's nutshell ? "

" The gun is mine, sir, and it is empty because I wasted my ammunition on a hawk an hour since. I had no more powder with me."

"A story jess erbout in keeping with the other. Afore ye take up lying fer a bizness I should 'vise ye to do a leetle practising. But I hev got evidence ernough, so kem erlong without enny more palaver."

Norman saw that it would be useless to remonstrate with the obstinate deer reeve, and he began to realise that he might have serious trouble with him before he could convince him and his friends of his innocence. Accordingly he hesitated before he said :
" I am innocent of this charge, sir, but if you will allow me to go home and tell sister and grandfather — "

" Go home! " again broke in Gunwad, who had no respect for another's feelings. " If thet ain't the coolest thing I ever heerd of. I s'pose ye think I'm innercent ernough to let ye take yer own way o' going to Chelmsford to answer to the grave charge o' shooting deer out o' season. Did ye ever see the match o' thet consarned audacity, Wood-ranger ?"

" It seems ag'in reason for me to think the lad means to play you double, Gunwad," said the Woodranger, deliberately. " It seems too bad to put the lad to this inconvanience. I 'low, down 'mong 'em strangers it'll be a purty sharp amazement for him to prove his innercence, but the lad's tongue tells a purty straight story. I disbelieve he was consarned in the killing o' the deer."

" Oh, ho ! so thet's the way the stick floats with ye, Woodranger ? Mebbe ye know crossways, but Captain Blanchard has the name o' being square and erbove board in his dealings. Ye can go down ef ye wanter, jess to show thet the deer jumped off'n the rock o' its own free will. Ha, ha ! thet's a kink fer ye to straighten."

" It would be easier done 'cording to my string o' knots, than to fairly prove the lad was to blame for its killing. I've heerd o' deer jumping off'n sich places out o' a pure wish to end their days. Up north, some years sence, I see, myself, an old sick buck march plumb down and sort o' throw hisself over a cliff o' rock, where the leetle life left in him was knocked flat. I was laying in ambushment for him, but seeing the creetur's intentions I jess waited to see what he would do. As I have said afore, I do not believe in wanton killing, and deer, 'cording to my mind, is next to the human family. This air rock has peculiar 'tractions for the low-spirited, and there are them as say the ghost o' poor Rimmon haunts the place, and it ain't so onreasonable in the light o' some other things."

Woodranger's speech had reference to the legend current among the Indians that a daughter of the mighty chief of the North, Chicorua, once fell in love with a Pennacook brave; but her dusky lover proved recreant to Rimmon, as the maiden was called, and she, unable to credit the stories told of her betrothed, sought this locality by stealth to learn if reports were true concerning him. Alas for her hopes ! she was soon only too well satisfied of their truthfulness, and, rather than return to her home, in her grief and disappointment, she courted death by leaping from this high rock. Hence the name Rock Rimmon.

" How long has it been sence the Indian killer turned philosopher and begun to preach ? " demanded Gunwad, whose coarse nature failed to appreciate the sentiments of his companion.

" Let's see," said Woodranger, ignoring the other's sneering words, " the law ag'in killing deer will be off afore you get the lad tried. If I remember right it was to last from the first day o' January to the first day o' August, and it being now nigh about six o'clock on the last day o' July, there are only six hours or so left — "

" What difference does thet make ?" cried Gunwad, with increasing anger. " Ef ye keep me hyur till to-morrow morning it'll be the same. But I ain't trying the youngster. Ef he'll kem erlong Squire Blanchard will settle his 'count."

"And give you half the fine, I s'pose," continued the imperturbable Woodranger, with his accustomed moderation.

" I shall 'arn it! " snapped the other. " But it's ye making me more trubble than he, Woodranger."

" I have a plan by which I may be able to more than even things with you, Gunwad, as bad as I have been. What time will you start for Chelmsford in the morning ?"

"An hour erfore sunup."

" Where do you think o' taking the lad to-night ? "

"Down to Shepley's."

" He's away, and the women folks might object to having a deer slayer in the house."

"I shall stay with him."

" They might object to you, too ! But that ain't neither here nor there. I reckon the lad's folks are going to be greatly consarned over his disappearance, so I have been thinking it would be better to let him go home now."

Gunwad was about to utter an angry speech, when the three were startled by the ringing note of a bugle sounding sharply on the still afternoon air. The first peal had barely died away before it was followed by two others in rapid succession, louder, clearer, and more prolonged each time.

" It's grandfather!" exclaimed Norman, excitedly. "There is something wrong at home."
Back to top